Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Letting Go

For a very long time in my "career," I have put in the overtime, been the "one" you can count on, been online and available at all times and set everything aside for a job. Over the years that has had to change for me. My health has never been 100% and that has always been an issue. Getting sick and missing work has been on EVERY review, has held me back in promotions and has been the subject of many discussions throughout every work place I have ever been employed. It has taken me a long time to let go of trying to be like everyone else, viewed like everyone else and compete with everyone else. It does not, has not and will not ever work and it's because I am not everyone else. I am someone with special situation who has finally come to terms that it's OK to do the best to MY ability and let go. Ultimately, I have time on my side to live and that is more precious than any promotion, raise, pat on the back, certificate of appreciation or an "at a girl," I could get from a workplace. Those all get boxed up at some point and what you remember when your old and dying is how you lived your life, not how valued you were an an employee.

No comments: